1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves
1 Golden Delicious apple
3 tbsp (35 g) white sugar
1/4 cup (62.5 ml) white vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) ground turmeric
2 star anise
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
1/4 cup (62.5 ml) fresh ginger root, grated
2 lbs. (1 kg) golden beets
1. In a large saucepan, cook beets in salted water until tender and easily pierced with a knife. Peel cooked beets.
2. Place beets in food processor and run until puréed. Set aside.
3. In a heavy saucepan, add vegetable oil, onions, garlic, peeled and diced apples and cloves. Sauté until onions become golden.
4. Add white sugar, and stir until caramelized.
5. Deglaze with vinegar, and add turmeric. Mix well and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add water and beet purée to onion mixture.
7. Cook to a thick consistency, approximately 10 minutes.
8. Pour mixture into a food processor, add fresh ginger root, and run until puréed. Pour through a fine mesh sieve and pour into Mason jars.
9. Let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate.